After 10 minutes of studying the brain, heart, spine, etc. the tech told us she knew what it was ... and since we hadn't seen any "indicator" on the screen we were pretty sure too -
IT'S A GIRL!!

All along I've said that I don't have strong feelings either way and I really didn't have a preference at all! But as soon as she said girl I was shocked. I guess since all I know is boy - the reality that it really is a girl this time hit me harder than I thought it would. All of Jackson's baby clothes, blankets and accessories are going in the attic and it's time for a whole new world - and shopping spree!
Tyler is absolutely thrilled (about the girl part, not so much about the shopping part). He wanted to have a girl so bad! He really didn't care when it came, as long as he gets to have at least one little princess - he's got her now and he's already smitten with her and giving my tummy kisses. All along he's called this baby "the sweet pea" so he is proud of his intuition.
As soon as the ultrasound started and I saw that cute little profile of our baby, I thought - that baby looks like a girl. I didn't say that out loud, but wish I would have! I wish I could have an ultrasound every appointment but I only get to have 3 during my pregnancy. It was so much fun seeing her move around, see her heart beat, her little fingers and feet and her cute little face.
My doctor had always referred to this baby as a girl, like as soon as we heard the heartbeat he said, "there she is!" But I'm realizing that deep down I must have always thought it would be a boy because it really is crazy for me to say "she" and "her" now. My mom screamed, my grandpa hooted and hollered, and everyone has been so excited with the news. I don't think I would have received the same reaction with a boy.
A boy would have been easy, familiar, and I would have allowed myself to go into 100% boy mode for everything I buy Jackson for Christmas. But now I'm looking around at all of our toys realizing how much boy stuff we have. I tried to be really gender neutral when getting baby gear (mostly red, and browns) and the nursery (black & white) but everything else - all boy. We have trains, cars, balls, and dinosaurs all over the house. I hope baby girl can like some of that too!
Most important is the relationship that Jackson will have with his sister. I have visions of him being such a great big brother to a little girl. After reading The Birth Order Book, it scared me a little about the competition that can arise from 2 boys 2 years apart. But normally brothers and sisters have much easier relationships. Tyler has a sister Kristi who is 21 months younger than he, and they had a great relationship growing up. I hope Jackson can have the same with his sister.
He is such an observant boy and can tell when I'm sad or sick. He was especially watchful of me in the mornings of my first trimester when I'd often need to run to the bathroom. During these times he always wants to be close to me (which wasn't always great when I'd be throwing up) but he was really concerned about me. He would rub my arm and back to comfort me. It's one of my favorite things he does and I am thrilled to see him be the protector of his sister too.
One boy and one girl, wow. we're so excited for our growing family...
2 comments:
I don't know if I adequately expressed my excitement in that text, but this makes me so happy!! I totally had a feeling that it was going to be a girl and I can't wait to meet the little chickie!! Seriously so thrilled for you Rach, it makes me a little emotional even.
Congratulations Rachel!! That is SO exciting. You will be such a fun mom to a little girl. What a cute little family! :)
Post a Comment