Friday, June 29, 2012

Jackson Hole





Well after a three week trip out west, we are now home and getting settled back into Florida life. But what a crazy and exciting month June was! We spent one week with the Jennings up in Utah, Jackson Hole & Yellowstone. Then we flew down to Arizona to see the Christensens  - most importantly my brother Michael who just got home from his mission! We spent a week in Newport Beach with them. Then Tyler flew home from California and I spent the third week back in Arizona with my family at their home. It was a lot of traveling but we had so much fun! (and so much to blog about)

It started on June 4th when we flew to Salt Lake City. We had to wake the kids up at 5 am for an early flight. I was hoping Jackson would sleep on the drive to the airport but he was wide awake. Not going to lie, I was nervous about flying with two kids. Jackson had flown on 30+ flights before this but now he's 2 and can throw a mean tantrum so this 4 1/2 hour flight was haunting me. I was hoping Abbie would do well like Jackson did as a baby, but I didn't want to be too confident.

Luckily we made it through the flight with no incident - largely due to the iPad we bought recently. Jackson had only played with it a few times at home but here on the plane he had new shows and apps to play around with. He loved it & kept him busy the whole flight. Abbie slept the whole flight and only woke up once to eat and then went right back to sleep. Angel baby. The only time it got tricky was when the plane landed and Jackson was ready to get off! He didn't enjoy waiting for the 20 rows in front of us to exit, but as soon as he got off he was so excited he could finally move around. He just started running through the terminal. It was a pretty funny site I'm sure with a 2 year old bolting with this huge grin on his face as his mom trailed a good 10 yards behind him holding his infant sister (Tyler was waiting at the gate to get our stroller). Luckily we all caught up to each other, got our lugguage, got our rental car and met up with Troy.

After this early morning long flight we were beat and ready to crash, but oh no - our fun was just beginning. We then drove straight from the airport to Jackson Hole, Wyoming to meet up with all of Tyler's family. It was about a 5 hour drive and I can't tell you how impressed and grateful I was to Tyler who made the long drive!

We finally made it!
Luckily Jackson fell asleep pretty soon after we got in the car - he needed it! Both kids were pretty good in the car and we made it to Jackson in the afternoon and it was so great to see everyone!

We were able to meet Jamie's baby Norah and Kristi's baby Graham and introduce them with Abbie. These cousins are all just 5 weeks apart! Jackson loved seeing his family again - especially his "Grahmpa!" who he loved chasing around all week. We were staying in this beautiful cabin and were able to be with everyone except Scott & Ashley and Troy's wife Tammy. We sure missed those guys!

The next couple days involved lots of good food, good company, pretty views and much cooler weather!

Norah - 8 weeks, Abbie - 7 weeks, Graham - 3 weeks

The Jennings' kids and grandkids


Tyler and Jackson about to start the hike at Jenny Lake.

We took a boat across the lake and then hiked up to pretty waterfalls.
The beautiful view at the top of the hike (Abbie slept the whole time!)

The whole gang at the falls

Troy took this pic from the boat!
Grandma and Grandpa and their babies!
Reese (3) Jackson (2) Avery (20 months)


I grew up going to Jackson Hole with my mom's family every few years for a family reunion but I hadn't been in 10 years. All the memories came flooding back as I walked around downtown Jackson though!

The Playhouse in Jackson, memories of Stevens' reunions!
Hanging out in the square eating an amazing cinnamon roll!
Most of the group had to head back to Utah on Wednesday afternoon but we drove up to Yellowstone with Tyler's mom and Travis' family. It was another long drive but it was worth it and we even saw Old Faithful! Well, everyone else saw it erupt up close and personal while I nursed Abbie in the car. I could see the way top of it though haha, such is the life of a nursing mother.


Old Faithful!

Abbie and I just after the eruption, dangit.


Jackson had fun running around all the geysers
 
Tyler's main goal was to see a bear, and while there were none sighted we saw this buffalo up close!





No comments: