Saturday, April 4, 2009

Our week in FL

It seems like every day is a new adventure as we’re getting settled in Florida. There is a lot to report, but I’ll sum up what’s happened this week.

While we were down in the Miami area, we drove along the “A1A” which is a road similar to the PCH in Cali. We drove from our hotel in Boca Raton up to Palm Beach. There were SO many HUGE houses along the coast – right on the beach. It was fun to drive and see the Ocean on our East instead of the West – something I wasn’t really used to! Here are some pics from our first experience on the Florida beach together.

We ate at the Whale’s Rib – we had heard from locals and some online reviews that it was a great local seafood place in Deerfield Beach, FL. When we pulled up it didn’t look like anything special, just a little hole-in-the-wall joint. Tyler and I aren’t huge seafood people, so at this point I was getting a little scared. But when we walked in I was reassured because we saw this autographed show poster on the wall!
Ty and I are fans of the show “Diners Drive-Ins and Dives” on the Food Network, and this restaurant had just been featured in the show! They filmed for it just last month, so we’ll be excited to see it on TV sometime! We asked our waiter what meals were featured in the show, and chose all of those. We started out with Rock Shrimp for an appetizer. I was a little hesitant since they came with all the shells on them, we had to get dirty, but they were amazing!!

They taste a lot like lobster. Then for our main dish Tyler ordered the restaurant’s specialty “Fried Dolphin.” OK this entrée also scared me a LOT. When I was younger I was OBSESSED with dolphins, and by obsessed I mean I wanted to work at Sea World, I had Dolphin Bed-sheets, a Dolphin Phone, Dolphin Stuffed Animals, and I went to Sea World for my birthday. So eating Fried Dolphin, are you joking me?? But then the waiter noticed my horror and let me know, Fried Dophin was actually Mahi Mahi, which is a “dolphin fish.” OK, well it still felt weird to order Dolphin at a restaurant. Regardless, the “dolphin fish” was great – and it was the best fish Tyler had ever eaten, which is saying a lot!

And other items to report….so far in Orlando ...

We saw Tiger Woods and company at Arnold Palmer's Bay Hill Invitational. Tiger came from behind and won this tournament, his first win since his comeback this year! This tournament takes place about 1o minutes away from our new house, and is actually in our church's "ward boundries". The suburb we live in, Windermere, is Tiger Woods' hometown. In other words, Tyler is in Golf Paradise, in fact he is going to the MASTERS next week!!
(Tiger is in the purple below)
We see fireworks every night. At 9 pm each night Disney’s Magic Kingdom lights off their firework show. Since we live just a few miles north of the park, we get to see them every night.(I’m actually hearing them right now!)

We now have our house setup with TV, Internet, and for the first time… TIVO! Needless to say, Tyler is loving life – we’ve had it for 2 days and he’s already recorded like 10 different things. As for me, I’m now realizing this is an issue. I’m home alone right now and Tyler is recording 2 things, the Final Four NCAA Games, and the movie “Braveheart.” I just saw that I can’t watch anything else while he’s recording those shows –messed up! Ay yi yi, I guess I’ll be watching basketball tonight.

We went to the Orlando, Florida LDS Temple and it is beautiful! The temple is also in Windermere and it's great to drive past it during the day, and see it lit up at night. It's the only LDS temple in Florida, and we're blessed to live so close.

We’re really loving our townhome, and we’re getting closer and closer to getting all unpacked. Hopefully next week I’ll have all the décor and pictures up so we can post pictures of the new place!

2 comments:

Ashley Madsen said...

How exciting!!! It sounds like you guys have SO much to do close by! I can't wait to try something new one day than Mesa. Such a fun time for you guys! I can't wait to see inside pictures of the house.

Millicent said...

How fun that you're in FL and getting settled. I'm thinking a trip up north (preferably to DC) is in order. :) Welcome to the east coast, Jennings!!!