Saturday, November 2, 2013

Getaway in NYC!

Tyler and I were lucky enough to spend the weekend together in NYC! After a few fun days with the Jennings, they were kind enough to stay at our house and watch our kids while we drove down for a fun weekend away! It is so awesome to live 90 minutes from the city :) This was my first time away from Abbie for more than a few hours and my second time away from Jackson. Living away from family makes trips like this tricky so we're grateful for Vicki and Terry. And from the pictures and report, it sounds like they had a pretty fun weekend too!

This trip started out as a present to Tyler for graduating with his MBA back in May, but with the timing being a week before my birthday it kind of ended up being a birthday celebration too. We only had 36 hours in the city, but we crammed a lot in! And most of the cramming was food, I must admit.

We had breakfast at Norma's and wow that place was unreal. I got the Chocolate Decadent French Toast and it really just looks like a huge slice of cake. It was amazing and way too good for breakfast! Tyler got an southwest omelet that was really amazing too but kind of got overshadowed by mine! We also went to the Manhattan temple that morning which was a very neat experience, its a bit trickier to get to a temple now living so far away! And of course we had to get more sweets after the temple so we stopped at Levain Bakery - I'd heard about their cookies for years and was determined to try it this trip. Wow, so glad we did! Then we finally got to go to our room at the Waldorf and freshen up before our night out!

happy early birthday to me!
Norma's, our meals, the temple
The Chocolate Peanut butter, aww so good!
Thank you Hilton Points!
That night we saw a Broadway show, Once, which we probably should have researched a bit more before seeing. We loved the music but it wasn't our style. We had some amazing Italian for dinner before the show and had plans for dessert that night but I think we had both hit our food limits for the day!


Gotta love a good Times Square selfie
So fun running into Kelli White!
The next day was beautiful weather and after sleeping in and getting yummy wraps for breakfast and pudding from Magnolia Bakery - we took the subway to Brooklyn. We tried the famous Grimaldi Pizza and like all of our food that week, it didn't disappoint! I also really loved that area of town, it was actually a place I considered much more liveable, unlike Manhattan! There was a huge line to get in so Tyler let me explore alone for a bit while he waited in line. It really is such a strange feeling walking around a city without a baby in arms, diaper bag on back and toddler to tote around! Tyler and I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge back to the city and then got lucky enough to get last minute tickets to Matilda! I love that show and would recommend it to anyone but especially if you're a fan of the book, movie or just young at heart. It had everything I love about Broadway shows.
Subway rides are much more enjoyable with banana pudding!
I'm so glad the rain didn't come like the weather forecast said!
The bridge was packed but it was a beautiful day!
The stage setup at Matlida was so awesome!
Tyler's collage of the trip!





No comments: