Friday, November 8, 2013

Tyler's Birthday Weekend

Fall is Birthday Season at our house! Tyler turned one year older (he doesn't like thinking about his age anymore) on Saturday, October 12. We had a beautiful sunny day to celebrate him that day! Tyler has made lots of changes this year but one I hadn't blogged about is his physical appearance. Late in the summer, Tyler began a diet routine that worked amazingly well for him and he lost over 35 pounds in less than 2 months. He lost 11 pounds in the first week alone and did so amazing on the program. I'm so excited and proud of him and all he's accomplished this year. This birthday was one of lots of new clothes since pretty much all of his clothes are falling off him now!

We started out with Trader Joes pumpkin pancakes for breakfast: we'd been introduced to them by Jamie Cook in Vermont and Tyler wanted them again! Then we headed off to an Apple Festival in Southington. We met our friends, the Thomas's and had a great morning out! Highlights were the kids watching the little girl dancers (both so intrigued it was hilarious), Jackson sitting on a real police motorcycle, amazing apple fritters (best I've had) and apple slushies. Good thing it was a warm enough day to enjoy it all!

Fritters, Motorcycle, a Fire Truck kids ride and the family walking through it all

Sharing our apple slush!
Tyler and Jackson spent the afternoon at the golf course while I stayed home and Abbie napped. He got him this set of clubs in September and he loves playing in our yard most days, so going to a real course was a special treat!
 
Future Golfer
That night we got a babysitter and went out to Flemings for a nice steak dinner. We had gone here just once before, on our anniversary trip in Naples last year. We had a gift card then and normally wouldn't splurge at such a pricey place. But I guess we were on their mailing list and received an offer for a great dinner for 2 special that Tyler couldn't turn down. We headed to West Hartford for the night and enjoyed a night alone.


Steak makes for a happy husband!
The next day was a Sunday and since we'd had so much fun inviting our friends over for my birthday, we decided to have another cake and ice cream party for Tyler too. I invited some friends at church and everyone we invited ended up coming so we had 24 people over. It was a great time though and Tyler always uses these times to learn the funny dating stories of our now married friends. Luckily I made some pumpkin muffins to give to some of the younger kids so we could feed everybody. That and very thin slices of this 3 layer cake! I made this pumpkin dream cake that turned out amazing. It won't be the last time I make it for sure! It's from this blog,  the cake's pumpkin flavor was subtle but moist and the maple cream cheese frosting was a perfect combo. 

It was a great weekend celebrating the best husband and dad out there!

Oops I guess I'm giving away his age.
He had lots of helpers too :)

No comments: