Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Number 3 is a girl!!

On Friday, March 28 we had our ultrasound to find out the gender of baby #3! This was only my third visit to the doctor and actually was my third ultrasound as well. At my first appointment I was 8 weeks along and they had the standard ultrasound to determine if things look ok and to determine the due date. While at that ultrasound the tech thought she saw some abnormalities in my placenta. I was a little bit worried at first, but they said it was just something that normally goes away within a couple weeks.

A couple weeks later I actually had another doctor call me and inform me that they took a second look at the ultrasound and determined it was actually fine, and that the tech had made a mistake in interpreting the ultrasound. But they still wanted to do another ultrasound at my next appointment just to be safe. This made me feel a whole lot better about things :) So I went back in in February when I was just about 14 weeks along and had a perfectly normal ultrasound and heard the beating heart. After this appointment is when we publicly announced the pregnancy.

I scheduled my next appointment for 5 weeks later, which put me at just almost 19 weeks along and in the perfect "find out the gender" period. We scheudled it for a Friday morning so Jackson was at preschool, Abbie was at her friend Mariah's house and Tyler was able to leave work for a bit to come join me.

OK So my thoughts going into the u/s were pretty mixed. At the start of the pregnancy I had thought it was a boy because I got pretty sick early on. While in Utah I was only 6 weeks along and starting to feel nauseous after eating certain foods, especially in the morning. Tyler's mom also did a little body test with me and thought it was a boy. But then things really calmed down and it was reminding a lot more of my pregnancy with Abbie. The entire first trimester I had weird food cravings but there wasn't once that I was completely grossed out by seeing or preparing food, like I had been with both earlier pregnancies. But yeah, I ate cheese a lot - just like I did with Jackson, so that led me to think boy too. The other thing that was new about this pregnancy was caffeine - I haven't been a soda drinker for 8 years but all I wanted was Diet Dr. Pepper for weeks! I have now cut that out of my diet again luckily, but still enjoy it sporadically :)

So anyways - what will this baby be??? Jackson thinks its a boy, Abbie thinks its a girl. Tyler went back and forth but near the u/s date he was beginning to think more that it was a boy. I was clueless. I went back and forth but I think deep down I always thought girl since it was such an easier pregnancy than I'd had with Jackson. Although it wasn't identical to Abbie's, it was much more similar to hers than his.

But let's be honest - we have one and one - so either way we're good!!! Well the results came in and...

IT IS A GIRL!!!


I guess I must have been still having some thoughts of boy because it still surprised me to see it and hear it that morning! I think Tyler was really surprised. But we are now so excited to have two little girls in a row!

From the appointment I went to the grocery store and got a bouquet of pink balloons to show to the kids when we got home. I had Jackson and Abbie go sit on the couch and then I brought them in from the trunk of the car. Abbie was so excited and Jackson was disappointed, and then cried. "I don't want pink balloons! I wanted blue balloons to play with! I thought it was a boy, I was wrong and Abbie was right? Daddy was wrong? I don't like girls." Were the things he said at first. And honestly I think he was just as sad about being wrong than he was with it being a boy.

And now I know, next time I bring home pink doughnuts instead because at least he'll still enjoy that :)

A sad little boy at first

But then he decided to have fun with Abbie and play with the balloons. He's such a good big brother to a little girl, I'm excited to see him with a baby too :) I also feel that this is going to make the relationship he has with Tyler grow even stronger, sticking together as the boys of the house ;)

We tried to take so many pictures with the kids and balloons but seriously none of them were working so this was about as good as it got!

No comments: