Monday, January 12, 2009

It's official - we're movin to the 407!!

Well, now that we've left you hanging for over a week I guess we'll fill you in about the pictures below. In March, 2009 (aka less than 2 months away) the Jennings family (aka Ty & Rach) will be relocating to...

ORLANDO, FLORIDA!!!!!

It's true, you've seen from earlier posts that we're sick of the cold!!! We're taking off to a place that has an average temperature of 75 and never gets below 50 degrees.

Well, actually it wasn't quite that simple...

Tyler and I have been thinking a lot over the past year about what we're going to do with our lives. Ty got a degree in Economics from BYU and he's always wanted to go back and get more education. Originally he thought he'd accomplish this goal my getting an MBA. Over the summer, however, he began considering the option of going to Law School. He studied for the LSAT, took the test, and even interviewed with some law schools. I wasn't quite sure what to think about going back to school for three years, and then being a "lawyer's wife" but I wanted to go along with whatever made Tyler happy. And for a few months, that's what I thought it would be....

But there's more to the story. In July (aka 6 months ago) Tyler got a call from his friend Jeff, who he'd met over a year prior. Jeff wanted to tell Tyler about this new company he'd been working for called Wattstopper. They make and sell energy efficient lighting controls for commercial building projects. Jeff is the district manager in Utah and he wanted Tyler to submit his resume and apply for some other manager jobs the company had available. Tyler was interested but didn't think too seriously about it.

(He probably won't admit it but, to be honest Tyler has several business contacts meet with him and want him to sell for them, come work for them, etc etc. He's just got such a good way of dealing with people and sales that he's naturally talented and sucessful. He gets calls like this alot, so we didn't think too much about it.)


But Tyler looked into the company researched them (http://www.wattstopper.com/) and realized this could be a really good opportunity. The company has been around for over 20 years but has been increasing sales dramatically the past few years. Its based out of San Jose but sells their products across the country and had opportunities in the midwest and southeast. He decided to submit his resume, just in case... But of course he kept on with his current job, and was also starting to study for the LSAT for Law School -- but he had this in the back of his mind.

And then the process began:

Late September - the VP of the company calls Tyler for a phone interview, it went well!

Halloween - While Tyler is interviewing at ASU law school the VP calls Tyler and wants to fly him out to San Jose for the next round of interviews

November - Tyler inverviews in California, does well and really feels good about the company and the ownership and leadership. But wondered about how going to get an advanced degree would fit in..

Later in November - Tyler flys to Texas for his last round of interviews and passes them too...

December - The company calls Tyler and offers him the job, and the opportunity would be to manage the Southeast District and be based out of Orlando.

This month, we've officially accepted the job and Tyler began training last week. Tyler also found out that the company will pay for 100% of an Executive MBA so he'll be able to get that done as well! We have been so blessed and have had many "tender mercies" from the Lord during this process, sometimes things just fall into place.

Orlando is going to be a lot of fun, we go out in a couple of weeks to check it out! We never would have guessed that we'd be moving to Florida, but we're really excited about it and the new adventure in our life together!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

it sounds like a perfect fit! I am so excited for you guys! :-)

Megan said...

That's so exciting, Rachel! I'm really happy for you guys. Mark and I are in Oklahoma and also in the cold right now- it would be super nice to move somewhere warm. Being in the Air Force I'm sure we'll move somewhere warm one day...

Chris & Kristen said...

Rachel that is so exciting! I am glad you aren't leaving until March because I am coming up in February and I really want to see some Londoners while I am there.

Hillary from The Beauty Mark said...

I seriously am in shock Rach! That is so exciting and yet so bittersweet! I expect that you'll have to come back to the AZ to visit on a regular basis?!

Jill said...

HOW EXCITING!!! What an adventure you guys have ahead of you! It is so wonderful how it has all fallen in place & how Tyler might have a chance to get his MBA for free!!! Wow.

We'd love to come visit... somewhere down the road. :)