As you can tell from this picture, our Thanksgiving
When planning this trip months ago, we learned that hotels in NYC are expensive, and hotels in NYC on Thanksgiving are crazy expensive! Luckily Tyler had earned tons of points from all his hotel stay while traveling around Florida so we were able to stay at the Crowne Plaza hotel right off Times Square. It was so awesome to be right in the middle of it all!
It was so dang cold! We had to bundle up
Our first night we went over to
Too bad they didn't light the tree until the next week!!
The next day was Thanksgiving and we were so excited to watch the parade and even more excited that it wasn’t raining as the forecast had initially predicted!
Here are the lucky front row kids.
And the view from their spot ...
I took this pic from our spot, not quite as up close, but still pretty awesome.
Jackson woke up about 30 minutes into the parade and wondered what all the commotion was about!
Near the end of the parade
We saw the Dough Boy just as we were starting to head back!
It was cool that we were able to see it from our room (we had requested that in case it was raining) but I’m glad we went on the street to see it up close and personal! The glare is kinda bad, but that's Santa down there!
Jackson and Grammy watching from our room.
Another random note – while we were looking for a spot to watch the parade we ran into Sarah Simmons (Morris) and her husband Calvin! Of all the millions of people we found them, it was so awesome. We ended up having them over at our hotel later that day and even saw them in the
I was a little nervous that I wouldn’t get to have a good Thanksgiving Feast but we got to have the traditional feast at the

The next day was my mom's 50th birthday, the real reason for the trip, and of course it was Black Friday.
We did some crazy shopping and started at Macys. I didn’t realize how accurate the Elf movie was about getting the department store all ready for Santa! It was crazy how intense they made the 7th floor! It was pretty neat that
We went to a few other shops after Macy’s, and wow – probably the most crowded I’ve seen stores. I’m not usually a Black Friday shopper, but in NYC, you couldn’t pass it up!
Later that night we went to West Side Story and were able to have the lovely Melanie Layman (Bothwell) watch
The play was great and we had the songs stuck in our head the next few days, especially Steven with "MARIA!"
The next morning we went to the
My family drove back up to
A memorable Thanksgiving for sure!! It’s too bad Michael wasn’t able to be with us, but we’re proud that he’s doing so great on his LDS Mission. The only random part is that he was just a few hours north of where we were, in









5 comments:
Cute photos! Wow, you were lucky to stay in the middle of it all! Great view!
HOW FUN!!! I am jealous, I want to go there so bad, and what a fun week to go!!!! you look great by the way!!! Your little guys is adorable too!!!
oh my goodness! it looks like soooo much fun :)
Wow! I've always wanted to go to the Macy's parade you luckies!!! That looks like such a blast.
Ty that's fun you're going to be in DC this week. I told Justin to get in touch with you on some good places to eat.
Looks like so much fun! Happy 50th Birthday, Joan! One of my favorite Thanksgiving's growing up was in New York City, going to the parade, eating a yummy dinner at the waldorf astoria and shopping like crazy with my parents. I came home with quite the loot. Looks like you guys had so much fun! I'm glad Jackson is feeling better and sleeping better for you. It's hard when they're normally so happy and then get fussy for a few days... imagine how hard it is for them!!! They're so used to being happy and then suddenly they feel crappy and they're tired and fussing all the time. It's rough. Thank goodness they snap out of it.
Post a Comment