Monday, October 5, 2009

Birthday

My 24th birthday was definitely unique. I've had weird birthdays before: one year I went to the podiatrist, one year it was the weekend of my Grandpa's funeral, often times it falls on General Conference Saturday. But this was my FIRST birthday in Florida and my LAST not being a mom.

The main reason this one was so weird though, was that it fell during the week of Tyler's company's Regional Sales Meeting in Tampa. Since Tampa's only an hour away, it's a quick drive. With nothing much to do in Orlando, I decided to go with him for the 4 days.

Tuesday I checked out Clearwater Beach. I didn't realize how WARM the water would still be!


I'm usually a pretty big wimp when it comes to getting in the ocean, but I guess I'm not in California anymore! I had fun playing around in the waves and didn't even mind getting in all the way since it was so warm. It was just like Cancun all over again ... the water wasn't quite as blue ... but the waves, temperature, and sand was all the same.
One random thing, a seagull flew down and grabbed my half-eaten cookie right out of my hand!

That night, we waited until midnight and then I opened some of my presents at our lovely room in the Holiday Inn Express.


Wednesday (my birthday) didn't start out quite so hot ... but it got better as it went on luckily. Tyler took off at 7 am to go deep sea fishing with all his co-workers. He had never done anything like that before, but I think he had a pretty good time!

He caught this shark! ... but I think they had to let it go ...

Anyways, when I woke up I didn't feel quite so hot. I hadn't "gotten sick" for the past 3 weeks, but sadly the toilet and I were got quite acquainted that morning ...

I recovered after a few hours and then got off to my day. Since we're Annual Passholders at DisneyWorld, the "get in free on your birthday thing" doesn't mean much to us. SO instead, if we go on our birthdays, we get a $79 gift card that we can spend at any store on DisneyWorld Property. But since I had to pick it up on my birthday, I went to DisneyWorld by myself!


Tyler had set up my afternoon for pampering. I had a pedicure appt (that sadly I had to miss since my late start in the morning) and a hair appointment. Now that I'm finally feeling good enough to do my hair again, I got my hair cut and colored!

Then I headed back to Tampa for my birthday dinner with Tyler (and all his co-workers). They had planned a barbecue at his bosses house for that night, when Tyler told them it was my bday, they decided to make it a birthday bbq. They were actually really sweet and got me a cake, flowers, and decorated the house. Although I had only met these people briefly in January, it was actually a lot better than I thought it would be.


We ended the night back at our hotel, glad to finally be able to finally just relax together.

I'm sure my next birthday will be quite different with a 6 month old! Crazy .. I can't even begin to fully grasp how much my life is going to change. But I'm so excited (and so is Tyler)!!

4 comments:

Hillary from The Beauty Mark said...

Yay Rachel! Sorry you weren't feeling great on your birthday :( But like a true princess you went to DisneyWorld! That's my girl!

Ashley Madsen said...

Hope you had a great birthday Rach! Your mom called me about Page's wedding. I've been out of town, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let her know that I'm going to call her back as soon as I get a chance and I'm really excited to see you guys.

tam & eric battles said...

hey miss! happy haapy birthday! hey did i miss you finding out what you guys are having?? so excited for you two, you are just going to love it!

CAGE said...

happy birthday! (late) can't wait to see you and get aquainted with the baby.