Valentines' Day 2010
Last night Tyler and I went out to dinner and then just came home and watched a redbox movie (on our new awesome tv of course). So obviously if we wanted to pay only $1, we had to return it today [Sunday]. Being raised to not shop on Sundays, I feel really weird and guilty entering stores on Sunday, especially after having just attended church. But hey it's a whole $1 and it's not a big deal to return a movie on Sundays, right? So on our way home from visiting friends, we stopped by the grocery store to return the movie. I ran into the store and Tyler waited in the car. As I walked in the store, a lady I know from church (and had seen at church a couple hours ago) was walking out the door with her cart of food.
{The following paragraph takes place in 1.4 seconds}
So I start thinking fast ... what do I do?? OK it's too late to turn around or hide, she's about to pass me, so what do I say?? My first response is to blurt out, "I promise I'm just returning this movie!" Luckily I don't say that, because -it's obvious she wasn't going to just return a movie ... So the question remains ... what do I say as I pass her?? This is an awkward situation and I really want to say something funny or clever to make it not quite so awkward. My mind thinks fast, fast, fast, what to say, what to say. We pass. We make eye contact. I say "hi" and smile really big, clutching to the movie in my hand. She says "hi" smiles not quite so big, clutching to her bags of food.
That's it. That's all I could come up with. I couldn't think of anything else to say!!! What should I have said? I'm still thinking about something clever or funny to say, but I can't come up with anything that might not have offended her.
So now it's Valentines Day for real, and I'm upstairs on the computer and Tyler is downstairs playing host. He kinda unintentionally invited 6 14-year-old boys over to watch the NBA All-Star Game tonight. I guess that's what happens when you are a cool Young Men's leader who tells 1 kid at church he should come over and check out his new tv tonight. So he's moved the furniture around, popped popcorn, and now is trying to find other treats to give these kids. It's cool though, the kids in our church really look up to Tyler and like hanging out with him. It's just not the kind of surprise you would plan for Valentines' Day Night ...
*** Update*** The boys wanted to start wrestling and Tyler wouldn't let them in our house. So they all just left, after only 1 1/2 hours or so.
5 Home Security Options You Need In Place Today
2 years ago
1 comment:
I just found you, old London Friend!
Congrats congrats congrats on the bundle of JOY! Miss you and hope everything is going really well!
Love love,
Sarah Reynolds
aka Sarah Eaton of the London Center Extraordinaire!
Post a Comment