Sunday, March 7, 2010

An Expecting Father



Rach and I were coming home from Miami this week and she mentioned that I hadn't posted in a long time.. and so here I am giving you all the update.

We've done a lot of fun things over the last few months, or should I say the last three years!! Things have really worked out well for us and I feel very blessed to have had this time with Rach before all the excitement of parenting. We know each other very well and we are better prepared to enter this new phase of life together.

I have to say that I LOVE my job - it's the kind of opportunity that is perfect for me as a person - very much geared toward building relationships, presenting a lot, and working with others so that we all can achieve our goals. It also helps that I get to sell something that I actually know helps people and the environment!

If you'd like to know more about the company here is the website - www.wattstopper.com


Now I'd like to change gears here and discuss something that has been absolutely incredible for me - Rach's pregnancy!! I'm one of those guys who never understood why people would post pictures of themselves and their naked belly on facebook or their blogs...GuuuhhRosss!! It seemed super weird to me and now I can honestly say it makes a ton more sense now.. They aren't showing off their belly as much the fact as how excited they are for that little life growing inside..

The highlight of my day is getting to feel that little guy kick! It's amazing to think about the beauty of creation - growing from a Poppy Seed to a Watermelon is so wild.. my other thought on this topic is how could anyone who has given birth or is the father of a child think there isn't a God??? You feel so close to the Spirit and I feel humbled by this awesome opportunity that we have to be parents. It makes me sad to consider the state of our society regarding families and parenting.. I wish the whole world could know the song from my primary lessons - I am a Child of God - that simple song holds so much truth and gives meaning to this life.

It has been a whole lot of emotions these last few months for me. I'd like to give some thoughts directed at the husbands out there who are going to be dads and are going to participate in the nine months -

1. You can choose to be right or you can choose to be happy - don't argue based on logic during this period - you'll lose, so just be happy and enjoy the ride!

2. She will cry - don't be surprised if anything creates an emotional response - tears of joy, fear, or any emotion might come out during this period - expect it to be a crying time - there will be times when she doesn't know why she's crying!!

3. Be prepared for weeks 8 thru 13 - soon after you find out that you're having a baby the period of nausea and sickness hits like a ton of bricks - be supportive and do everything you can for her at this point - I would recommend a run to a grocery store and get some of the things you know she likes.. salty to sweet and let her nibble on a little of each item so she can figure out what sounds good to eat - Rach found out she only really wanted to eat Cheddar Cheese and saltines for about two weeks, eventually we introduced turkey on top of the cheese and cracker.. but ice cream and chocolate weren't gonna work..

Another thought - I'd be hesitant on planning any trips during this period.. weeks 15 - 25 are much safer bets as far as traveling is concerned.

4. Know her love language - remember that this whole experience can be made more positive by understanding what things she needs to feel comfortable during this time - she might need words of affirmation, physical touch, quality time, gifts, or acts of service... figure out with her what ways she wants you to communicate your love and appreciation for her during this amazing peiod.

5. Love it - it can be a scary and confusing time for a would-be-dad.. don't let it be - enjoy this time and just know that you'll make mistakes and not everything will be perfect.. she'll get mad at you at some point for something you do or didn't do.. but you gotta let it go! This time is too precious to be spent thinking about any negatives, you have to remember that!! Like Joseph B. Wirthlin's mom always taught him - COME WHAT MAY AND LOVE IT!!

Ok dads - these are my five thoughts on the pregnancy process - as the scriptures say - if ye are prepared ye shall not fear - take these things to heart and you'll be better off!

I am so grateful for Rachel - she has been so amazing during this whole process - we had our birthing class yesterday and it was so fun to see her there with all the other moms. I can't get over how great she has done throughout this whole thing - there is no waddle in her step, for being almost 37 weeks along she has handled it very well and is physically carrying the baby so easily. She honestly walked all around Epcot yesterday and owned it!

I'm so excited to meet our little guy - I can't believe in less than a month he will be here!

5 comments:

Jill said...

Great post Tyler! I'm so glad Rach mentioned it in passing because it is so nice to hear it from your perspective. I was wondering how you parents-to-be were doing down below us. Good to hear baby is still cookin and he's getting ready to wrestle his daddy.

We'd really really really like to come visit, but obviously it just hasn't happened & probably won't until this summer. Hopefully your little man won't be too territorial and will let Cedric tinker around his toys :)

Best wishes from ATL. You guys will be great!

Ashley Madsen said...

Loved this post. So how do I explain crying for no reason and being emotional WITHOUT being pregnant??? Maybe I'll just say its to prepare?!

I'm so excited for you guys. Tyler it was so much fun to talk at the wedding in December and get to know you a bit better. You guys will be great parents and it will be here before you know it!

Steven said...

you should be a author that writes books to husbands of pregnant women. tyler, you are a stud

Katie said...

I meant to comment on this a few days ago but just wanted to say I LOVED reading this! So sweet. I'm passing it onto Cam.

Lindsey said...

Ty I loved reading your thoughts. Sounds like you're already a pro. You and Rachel will be great parents, that's obvious!