Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Jackson's Arrival



The past 6 days have been amazing. I never would have guessed that Jackson would come 1 week early, but I'm so glad he did! It's been an incredible experience thus far, here's how it all began...

Last week (Tuesday, the 23rd) I was doing some last minute baby prep. During the day I walked around Target getting some of my final purchases, got a pedicure, went to Bath and Body Works, and did some laundry. Tyler got home in the afternoon and we went down to the temple grounds together and went to an L.D.S bookstore. That night we had dinner, watched our favorite TV Shows and got ready for bed. At this point, I still had never felt a REAL contraction. I had felt pains a few times, but nothing that lasted more than 10 seconds.

Before we went to bed I had been wondering about what exactly happens when your "water breaks" so Tyler and I laid in bed reading out of the "What to Expect" book about going into labor. While we were reading, Ty really felt that he needed to take this seriously and to embrace the fact that it really could happen at any time now, and he needed to be ready.

We went to bed a little before midnight, and I woke up around 12:30 with that need to go to the bathroom that I'd been experiencing several times each night. But this time, when I got back in bed, I had a sharp pain in my belly -- my first contraction! Then 10 minutes later, another, then 12 minutes later, another. At this point I woke up Tyler and let him know that I had my first contractions. I was thinking they'd probably go away or become really infrequent, but Tyler really woke up and started timing them with me.

They kept coming... Tyler was timing them and they were coming between 8 and 10 mins apart and all lasting over a minute, at this point I still didn't think I was in labor - I DIDN'T THINK IT COULD HAPPEN THIS FAST! - I kept waiting for them to go away. Tyler knew otherwise and started packing his bag and loading the car - he was going to the hospital. Tyler had to convince me that this was real and that we were going to the hospital. I just couldn't accept that it was real - it took a while for me to realize it, (and I really didn't want to drive there and then have them send me home).

So we got in the car at 2:30, 2 hours after the contractions started. In the car the contractions got down to 3-4 minutes apart and I had to start trying my "lamaze" breathing. We got to the hospital a little before 3am and Tyler helped me into the Triage. They made me sign in and fill out a form while in the middle of a contraction - so I had to fill it out while crouched down on the ground. I guess they didn't think too much about it though as they didn't act too rushed - even though I was the only person in the waiting room. A minute later they called us back and casually started the routine, they quickly realized that this wasn't the norm at all. The nurse did the check and quickly stood up and walked out the room and started yelling directions to all the other nurses.

Within ten seconds 4 nurses were in the room and informed me that the baby WAS coming today! I started freaking out and was simultaneously receiving an IV, ultrasound, and temp check.. at this point they informed me that I was dilated to a 6 - and my only concern is - IS IT TOO LATE FOR AN EPIDURAL??

They quickly took me upstairs to the delivery room in time to get the epdiural (Best Decision of MY LIFE!) My water hadn't broken at this point, so we were able to wait in the room for a couple hours until they broke my water at 6:50am. During that time they told me to take a nap and save my energy for later, but the nap just wasn't in the cards; although, it was nice to relax. Tyler and I had time to let it really sink in that we were going to be parents in a couple hours! After they broke my water, it took one hour to get all ready to go and at 8 am the nurse informed me that it was time to start pushing. After a little over an hour of pushing they called in the Doc and all the support staff to deliver the baby! Up until this point I hadn't felt much pain while pushing but the last 15 minutes got pretty hard.

It was all worth it at 9:31am when Jackson Tyler Jennings was born! It was such an emotional experience and so awesome to see my little boy for the first time! The first thing the doctor said was, "oh wow he's a big boy!" We had NO idea he would be 9 pounds 2 ounces, 21 1/4 inches long - still one week early!

It was amazing to hold him for the first time, I fell in love with him immediately and who could blame me - look at this kid!


Those first couple hours with him were so incredible, just being with our new little family.

We spent the next 2 days in the hospital and then got home Friday night. My mom was planning on flying in March 31 - but quickly changed her flight and got here the day after he was born.

The last few days have been great since he came and honestly, its all gone a lot smoother and better than I could have ever guessed. Labor came fast, but it only lasted 9 hours -- and really wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. The recovery has been great -- Tyler and my mom have been helping out so much.

Little Jackson is eating like a champ, sleeping great, hardly cries, and is adorable ALL the time.





10 comments:

Britney said...

Congratulations, Tyler. What a darling baby boy you have.

And Rachel, you look great. I'm so amazed there was a 9 pounder hiding in your tiny belly. Glad everything went so well.

Katie said...

Ah, he is just so adorable! Usually newborns look a little strange and grow into their cuteness but he is cute from the get go! You make labor sound easy! Congrats!

Candace said...

Congratulations! He's so handsome. Love every moment, as I know you are. My baby is turning 6 months old tomorrow. Where did the time go?

Ashley Madsen said...

He is adorable Rach! He doesn't look quite like a new new baby! 9lbs 2oz?!?! How did you do it? Have fun with him.

Carly said...

Is it just me or is that little guy tan? I guess that makes him a true Florida baby. I get so happy every time I think about you guys!! I can't wait to see you in June and meet Jackson!

Millicent said...

What a happy looking family.

noelle regina said...

he really is such a beautiful baby!

J & J said...

gosh you guys i'm sitting her getting all emotional reading about this! i can't believe that goldie is already 3 months old...she's not that tiny little newborn anymore. i'm so happy for you and jackson is seriously soooooo cute. looks like you've jumped right in to parenthood, and there's no better way to do it! congrats. IT ONLY GETS BETTER. yay for babies!

Megan said...

Congratulations!!! What a cutie! Looks like you guys are adjusting to your new addition well. I'm so happy for you!

Unknown said...

yes I am a adorable baby! :)