Thursday, March 11, 2010

Just the 2 of us

If you read the last post, you realize I have the most amazing husband! He truly will be such an amazing dad and I'm so excited to see him raise our little boy. Our relationship has grown so much over the past year, since moving here. The real reason I mentioned to Tyler that he should post on our blog was that last week, he hit the ONE-YEAR mark for living in Orlando. He moved out here on March 2nd, I joined 3 weeks later. It's amazing how much our lives have changed in the past year. It's been a great year to spend time together and truly depend on each other. We've spent more time together this year than we had in either of the first 2 years.

We're on our own out here in Florida - we've got a great support of friends from our church, but no family. So when he's out of town, it's always a great reunion when he comes home! The past 3 days he was helping give trainings at his company's Alabama office. Luckily he flew, so he was able to make the trip shorter and was supposed to fly home last night. Yesterday was a rough day for me, so I was really looking forward to seeing him. He had a layover in Tennessee, and was supposed to make it home around 10:30. Well, at first the flight was delayed an hour because of thunderstorms, so the question is ... will he make his layover? Then his flight was canceled (which he later told me was because the plane he was supposed to take got hit by lightning - he was smart not to tell me at the time!!)

So at that point I'm on southwest.com, looking for other options of how he could catch a flight to Orlando, go through New Orleans? Jacksonville? Houston? Luckily they opened up another flight to Tennessee, and he was able to get on, it just left 90 minutes later. Then they held the Orlando-bound plane an extra 20 minutes for him to get on, and he finally landed safely in Orlando around 11. It's amazing what can happen with prayer, and I'm sure Tyler's persistence didn't hurt either.

Of course his bag was lost, but I finally got to see him around midnight. As stressful as that night was for him, it made it that much more awesome to have him walk through the door. Even though our lives are consumed with all things baby right now, I know I'm still so unprepared for the changes that are coming. Last night it was so great to be reunited with Tyler (my family) and the two of us were just able able to lay in bed cuddling and chatting. This family unit of 2 will only exist for 20ish more days. We're SO excited for the change, but at the same time, it's really great to be able to really treasure the moments as a couple while we can.

Sadly, the thunderstorms that were in Alabama yesterday have made it to Florida today. All local television channels have "interrupted their regularly scheduled programming to bring the severe weather updates" for the past 2 hours. It wouldn't be a big deal, but Ty had a big meeting an hour north of Orlando today and there is a Tornado Watch for all of Central Florida ... nice. He left this morning before it started getting bad. It's rained over 5 INCHES in the city he just had to drive through ... once again, nice.

I just had him with me home safe, now he's out there at the will of the weather again! This is definitely not one of the fun parts of living in Orlando. I was aware of the hurricanes, but tornadoes - who knew?? I probably won't be going out to run any errands today, I don't feel like getting soaked, or struck by lightning, or sucked up in a funnel cloud. But let's all hope it's died down just a bit when he starts driving home this afternoon...



UPDATE - he's home safe and sound!

No comments: