We got some donuts, cider and lots of apples for a yummy apple pie my mom made the next day. (We took turns sitting with sleeping Jackson in the car)
We got back to Ithaca and ran over to the local Farmer's Market before it closed. You may remember me posting about being obsessed with greek food lately? Some of you even predicted I was pregnant because all my mentioning of "craving" in my birthday post. Well I guess it is truly a pregnancy thing bc when I saw they were selling Gyros at the market, I had to buy one! Here we are posed at the back of the market, such a pretty setting!
The only problem with said gyro was it was huge, it was 3 o'clock in the afternoon, and sometimes my mind thinks I'm more hungry than I really am. I ended up feeling sick that night so I stayed in bed while my family took care of Jackson for the rest of the evening and they all went out for the night.
The next day was Sunday and we checked out their Ithaca Student Branch. It was a cute little church and it was at 9 am - can I tell you how envious I am of 9 am church!! Even though I love sleeping in and being lazy on Sunday mornings, I would switch in a heartbeat! It's so much more worth it for Jackson to have a good afternoon nap and all the little ones (me being our ward nursery leader would know...) Jackson did great at church and had fun in the small nursery (they have 5 kids - we have 18 back home) and I went to classes without Jackson for the first time ... I think since he was born!
After his lovely nap (first and only nap in a crib during the trip) we drove around the beautiful Cornell campus.
The weather was chilly, but the leaves and views were amazing! We also stopped off at Ithaca Falls, just south of campus.
The next morning we were excited to wake up to sunny weather and headed up to Watkins Glen State Park.
This place was like nothing I'd ever seen. It was a really beautiful hike and I guess I'll let the pictures do the talking.
The other thing I've been craving during this pregnancy - cheese! Not to the extent I did with Jackson, but still cheddar cheese has been my best friend over the past couple months. Paige and Ben had heard about a small cheese factory not too far from Watkins Glen. I was all up for free cheese samples so we decided to go! I don't think any of us realized how small this place would be though haha. They let us sample their 3 types of Gouda and some Brie, sadly there were no other varieties (aka cheddar) but it was still great for a super cheesy photo op.
We went to lunch at this great place in Downtown Ithaca called College Town Bagel. They had so many amazing choices for sandwiches and wraps - at least 100. It was fun to just look at the menu at all the interesting combinations of toppings, cheeses, etc. I was tempted to get something greek (of course) but I was still a little shaken by my Saturday experience so I went for a turkey pesto wrap. I need to see if Paige or Mom took a picture of us there bc all of us got the most unique sandwiches it was fun to see.
We finished the afternoon at a fun center with a corn maze. Jackson enjoyed playing on the playground and in the arcade (aka skee ball) while the others explored the maze.
Who knew you could find corn on a corn maze! I guess you're allowed to eat it?
Monday night we hung out around their apartment in Ithaca, helped with some decorating and ordered some yummy calzones.
The next morning was our last, and Paige and Ben had to get back to real life. Ben got back to studying and Paige had to work at Panera Bread as the sandwich maker / caterer extraordinaire. We went to visit her for breakfast and she hooked us up with yummy assortments of foods :-)
Jackson and I flew out of Ithaca later that morning and once again, he did amazing on the flights (his #26 and 27). He stayed awake and happy on our first shorter flight to Detroit, and then slept most of the way back to Orlando. Even with people next to us on both flights, he stayed in my lap and didn't cry or fuss once.
It was such a fun trip and a great time of year to visit New York! It really helped me get in the mood for fall and Halloween and of course it was great to see my family after 4 long months :)
No comments:
Post a Comment